Have you ever heard the old wives’ tale that eating snails can be deadly? You may have heard from your grandmother that snails can cause serious health problems or even death. While it is true that snails can be a potential source of harm, the idea that you can die from eating them is largely a myth. In this article, we will uncover the facts about snails and their potential for harm. We will discuss the scientific evidence and examine the myths surrounding the consumption of snails. We will also highlight some of the safety precautions that should be observed when handling and eating snails. So, let’s get started and uncover the truth about whether you can die from eating snails.
Can You Die From Eating Snails?
Snails are not poisonous. They are actually a pretty good source of protein and calcium, and they have been used as a food source for centuries. But it is possible to die from eating too many snails. One of the most common causes of death in the Philippines during the past century was the consumption of poisonous snails that were intentionally served by unscrupulous vendors to unsuspecting customers.
What Is The Risk Of Eating Snails?
The most common cause of snail-induced death is the consumption of poisonous snails. These toxic mollusks are often served as a delicacy in restaurants and sometimes even sold in markets. Although they look harmless, they contain a toxin that causes severe gastrointestinal problems, convulsions, and even death.
Another type of snail that can be dangerous to eat is the snail-borne parasitic worm known as Angiostrongylus cantonensis or rat lungworm. This worm can be found in the Philippines and other tropical regions of Asia and Africa, where it causes an infection known as angiostrongyliasis or rat lungworm disease. The infection is very rare in people, but it can be deadly for dogs, cats, horses, and other animals who come into contact with infected snails or their feces. The parasite is also present in certain wild animals, such as rats, opossums, raccoons, and squirrels.
If a snail is accidentally ingested, it could cause intestinal obstruction and peritonitis, which is a serious inflammation of the abdominal cavity. In some cases, the infection can cause death within a few days or weeks.
Parasites in the Environment
Snails are often eaten by dogs and cats when they have access to contaminated soil or water. This can lead to infection with parasitic worms such as Angiostrongylus cantonensis or rat lungworm disease, which can be fatal for dogs and cats if they eat infected snails or their feces. Parasitic worms from these species may also be found in wild animals such as rats and opossums that are infected with these parasites from snails.
Eating Too Much
If a person consumes too many snails, the body will be unable to eliminate them from the gastrointestinal tract, and they will remain in the intestines, where they can cause severe digestive problems. These symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, and even death if a person is not treated.
Eating Unwholesome Snails
The risk of eating contaminated snails is increased if the snails are eaten raw or undercooked. In some cases, people have been known to eat snail salads that have been prepared by others and then later found out that the salad contained poisonous snails. A similar situation occurred in 2013 when a woman ate a snail salad prepared by her son-in-law and was diagnosed with rat lungworm disease after three days of illness. The disease has no known treatment, but it can be prevented by avoiding eating raw or undercooked snails as well as cooking them thoroughly before consuming them.
What Can Health Problems Eat Snails Cause?
Gastric cancer is a type of cancer that develops in the stomach. It is very common in many countries, especially countries where people eat a lot of food with high-fat content. The reason for this is that the stomach is full of food when it gets exposed to high levels of fat. There are many types of gastric cancers, and most of them are caused by the consumption of carcinogenic substances like tobacco, alcohol, red meat, and so on.
Liver cancer is also a type of cancer that can be caused by eating snails. This kind of cancer has many different causes, but they all have one thing in common – they are all caused by excessive consumption or prolonged exposure to certain substances such as alcohol and tobacco products. The risk factors for liver cancer include alcohol drinking, heavy smoking, and poor diet habits like eating too much-processed food during your youth years (which leads to an increased risk of developing liver cirrhosis later on in life).
Colon cancer is a type of cancer that develops in the large intestine. It is also one of the most common types of cancer in many countries, especially those where people eat a lot of fatty foods and drink too much alcohol. The risk factors for colon cancer include heavy drinking, smoking, and eating a diet high in red meat and processed food products.
Hepatitis B is one of the most common blood-borne diseases that can be caused by consuming snails without any precautions. This kind of disease can be transmitted to humans through contaminated blood or by sharing infected needles with someone else (for example, during drug use). Liver damage caused by hepatitis B can lead to cirrhosis and liver cancer later on in life (which would then cause even more serious health problems). If you have ever been exposed to hepatitis B, you should immediately see your doctor and get tested for liver damage.
Most of the snails sold in pet stores carry a risk of being infected with bacteria that cause dental diseases such as gingivitis and periodontitis. If you eat snails, you should brush your teeth regularly and see your dentist regularly to prevent any serious dental problems in the future.
Eating snail meat can also lead to food poisoning. This kind of problem can occur when eating raw snails and is usually caused by a bacterial infection or other harmful bacteria (such as the bacteria that causes botulism). You should not eat raw snails, and if you do, you should always remember to cook them thoroughly before serving them to your family or friends.
What Precautions Should You Take When Eating Snails?
Wash Your Hands After Handling Snails
You should always wash your hands thoroughly after handling snails, even if they are cooked. You can use soap and warm water, or you can use an antiseptic hand cleaner. If you do not wash your hands properly after handling snails, you run the risk of getting an infection.
Cook Snails Properly Before Serving Them to Your Family and Friends
You should always cook your snails thoroughly before serving them to family and friends. This will help prevent them from becoming infected with any diseases such as hepatitis B or food poisoning (if they are raw). If you do not cook your snails properly, you run the risk of getting sick yourself or contracting a disease such as hepatitis B, gingivitis, or periodontitis.
Be Careful Not to Get Any Slime in Your Mouth When Eating Snails
If you eat snails raw, you may get some slime in your mouth from the body of the snail. This slime contains a toxin that can cause allergic reactions, including burning and swelling in the mouth and throat.
Be Careful Not to Eat Snails That Contain Diseases
If you encounter any snails that are infected with diseases such as the one that causes botulism, it is best to avoid eating them altogether.
Avoid Eating Snails if They Are Spotted
If you encounter any snails that are spotted with a greenish or black-colored substance, you should avoid eating them altogether. Spotted snails may harbor the parasitic worm known as the pork tapeworm. This worm can cause serious health problems in humans, including meningitis and blindness.
Snails have been a staple source of food for many cultures for centuries. While the consumption of snails does have its risks, it does not pose a serious threat to human health. The risk associated with eating snails varies depending on the type of snail being consumed and on your personal health. The most common health problems associated with the consumption of snails are gastroenteritis, allergic reactions, and parasitic infections. When eating snails, it is important to ensure they are prepared correctly to avoid contracting any harmful health problems.