When you’re coming down with a sore throat, you want to make yourself as comfortable as possible. A nice hot toddy is one of the best home remedies for a sore throat when you’re feeling under the weather. It has been said for centuries that drinking ginger ale will help soothe your sore throat. This is because ginger is an excellent natural remedy for nausea, vomiting, and upset stomachs. Unfortunately, most commercial varieties of ginger ale are not particularly healthy. They contain lots of sugar and artificial flavors and additives instead of real ginger and natural sugar substitutes such as honey or maple syrup. However, homemade ginger ale has some amazing health benefits when compared to commercial brands. Read on to find out more about which types of ginger ale are good for a sore throat, what other home remedies work best, and how you can create your own at home!
Does Ginger Ale Help Sore Throats?
Yes, ginger ale can help soothe a sore throat. The ginger in ginger ale can help to break down mucus and reduce inflammation. Additionally, the sugar in ginger ale can help to coat the throat and reduce irritation.
What Is Ginger Ale?
- Ginger Ale is a type of soft drink that is made from ginger, sugar, water, and carbonated water.
- Ginger Ale was invented by the American pharmacist John B. Leech in 1806 when he created it to help with stomach pains and nausea.
- Ginger Ale is often used as an alternative to soft drinks such as cola and lemonade because it doesn’t contain caffeine or artificial flavors that many children dislike as much as they do the taste of cola and lemonade.
- Ginger Ale contains no preservatives, coloring, or flavoring agents which makes it perfect for people who are sensitive to ingredients in other soft drinks such as cola and lemonade; especially children who may not like those ingredients (like artificial flavors).
- Ginger Ale can be made at home using real ginger and cane sugar instead of synthetic sweeteners such as high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) or sucralose (Splenda).
- Real ginger root does not have a strong flavor so it doesn’t overpower the natural flavors of your homemade ginger ale which means you can use less ginger than you would find in commercial brands if you make your own at home!
- You can make homemade ginger ale using fresh ginger root that you grate yourself at home instead of buying pre-ground dried ginger root from the store which contains all kinds of additives including preservatives, artificial colors, artificial flavors, and other additives that most people don’t want in their food.
Benefits Of Ginger Ale For A Sore Throat
- Ginger is an excellent natural remedy for nausea, vomiting, and upset stomachs.
- Ginger ale is a good source of vitamin C and helps your body absorb the iron found in foods.
- Ginger contains capsaicin, which has been shown to help relieve pain, especially when used in small doses (such as ginger ale).
- Ginger also contains some antibacterial properties that may help kill bacteria and viruses, such as the bacteria responsible for strep throat infections.
- Ginger is a useful anti-inflammatory agent that can be helpful for treating sore throats caused by colds or allergies. It may also be useful in treating fever blisters or other symptoms of the common cold when taken at the onset of symptoms (before any other treatment).
- The combination of garlic and ginger can be helpful for relieving nausea because it contains antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce inflammation throughout your whole body including your throat muscles!
- Delicious and refreshing! As you might expect, homemade ginger ale has none of these drawbacks compared to commercial brands! With just a few easy ingredients, you can make your own delicious ginger ale at home in just a few minutes! If you have ever had a sore throat, or if you have kids who are constantly getting sick, this recipe is definitely worth trying out! It’s simple enough that even kids will be able to help out with it! You’ll find all the ingredients below along with instructions on how to make it so give it a try!
Will Warm Water And Honey Help A Sore Throat?
- Warm water and honey will help a sore throat.
- Honey is much better than commercial varieties of ginger ale, but it’s not as good as homemade.
- Ginger is the best natural remedy for a sore throat and you can make your own at home.
- Warm water is more effective than hot tea or coffee when you’re trying to soothe a sore throat.
- You can also try eating ginger when you’re coming down with a sore throat, but you need to eat it raw to get the full benefits of ginger’s health benefits!
- Drinking hot tea or coffee will help soothe your sore throat, but it won’t be nearly as effective as drinking a warm glass of water with honey added! Why? Because you’ll be drinking something that’s already boiling hot, which isn’t nearly as comforting to your sore throat when it feels like it needs something soothing and warm!
Does Honey Help Sore Throats?
Honey is a natural remedy for sore throats
Honey is a wonderful remedy for sore throats, but it won’t help if you have a bacterial infection. When you have a sore throat, your body’s immune system is on high alert. This makes your immune system more aggressive and sensitive to potential invaders. If you have an infection, such as strep throat or tonsillitis, honey won’t be effective against the bacteria. Also, honey doesn’t have much antibacterial activity of its own. Therefore, it won’t kill the bacteria that are causing your sore throat in the first place!
Honey has antibacterial activity
The antibacterial action of honey can be explained by its high sugar content and other components known as hydrogen peroxide molecules (H2O2). The H2O2 molecules act as antimicrobial agents because they inhibit some bacteria from growing and multiplying in the presence of sugar. This is what causes honey to kill harmful bacteria such as staphylococcus and strep throat! However, it does not work against viruses because they cannot be killed by H2O2 molecules alone! Honey also has antifungal properties which prevent harmful Candida albicans fungal infections from occurring in the first place!
Honey contains antioxidants that protect cells from free radicals
Antioxidants are important because they protect cells from damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals are highly reactive molecules that can cause damage to cells if not controlled properly. Antioxidants are molecules that act as shields against free radicals and prevent them from causing damage to cells. Antioxidants also help neutralize free radicals by donating two electrons (e-) to them. This prevents the free radicals from causing further damage to cell membranes, DNA, and other important parts of cells.
Honey has antibacterial activity against viruses too!
Free radicals are particularly harmful because they can cause cell damage and lead to diseases such as cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, and heart disease. However, honey is also an effective remedy against viruses too! Honey has been used in home remedies for sore throat even since ancient times. It is believed that honey helps relieve sore throats because it contains antioxidants that protect cells from free radical damage. Another reason may be that ginger has a very strong antifungal effect which kills Candida albicans in the throat!
If you’re feeling like you’re coming down with something, ginger ale can make you feel better. Ginger has anti-nausea properties, so it will help reduce any nausea you may have as well as make you feel better overall. The best option is to make your own ginger ale. You can add real pieces of ginger root to a bottle of soda water and let it sit overnight. The next day, you can strain out the ginger pieces and drink the soda water. You can also add fresh ginger root to ginger ale concentrate and let it sit for 24 hours. This can be mixed with soda water to create a delicious homemade ginger ale that will help soothe your sore throat.