The Golden State Warriors have been a powerhouse of the National Basketball Association for the past few years. They have won three championships in the past five years, and have been the team to beat in the Western Conference. However, this season has been a struggle for the Warriors, and they have struggled to make the playoffs. Despite their star-studded lineup, the Warriors have not been able to make the playoffs this season. This article will take a deep dive into the Warriors’ season, and will break down the team’s performance in order to answer the question of whether or not the Warriors made it to the playoffs. It will also look at the key factors which led to their struggles and the potential for the team to bounce back next season.
Did The Warriors Make The Playoffs?
No, the Warriors did not make the playoffs in 2013—they finished with a record of 38-44, 9th in the Western Conference. Coach Mark Jackson was fired after the season, and Steve Kerr was hired as the new head coach. The Warriors went on to win the NBA title in 2015-16 with Kerr at the helm.
Why The Golden State Warriors Struggled This Season?
Loss Of Star Players
The Warriors lost a number of key players this season, most notably Kevin Durant, Andre Iguodala, and DeMarcus Cousins. All three of these players were vital to the Warriors’ success, and Durant and Iguodala were arguably the two most important players on the team, given their contributions on both ends of the court. Without these three players, the Warriors have looked disjointed, and have struggled to replicate their previous levels of success. While the Warriors have recently re-signed Durant, they have lost Iguodala and Cousins to free agency, meaning that they will likely have to replace these two players in the offseason. Replacing Iguodala and Cousins in the lineup will be no easy task, and while the Warriors are still a talented team, they will not be able to match their success without these two stars.
Injuries To Key Players
The Warriors have also dealt with a number of injuries throughout the season. In particular, Stephen Curry has missed a vast majority of the season due to a variety of injuries, including a recurring ankle injury. While Curry is an important player for the Warriors, the team shined during his stints on the sidelines and looked completely lost when he was out injured. In addition to Curry, Draymond Green has also missed a substantial number of games this season, due to a variety of minor injuries. Green is another important member of the Golden State roster, and it is likely that his absence has contributed to the team’s recent struggles. While the Warriors have recently returned both Curry and Green to the court, they have struggled to perform during their time on the court, and it remains to be seen if they will be able to replicate their previous levels of success when they return to the court full-time.
Change In Coaching Style
The Warriors have also changed their coaching style this season, after parting ways with head coach Steve Kerr. In particular, the Warriors have employed a far more defensive-minded coach in Golden State this season, after promoting assistant coach Willie Brooks to the position. While it was always likely that the Warriors would focus more on defense with Brooks at the helm, the team has looked completely lost on this end of the court and has been a complete shambles. The Warriors’ defense has been inconsistent at best, and completely incompetent at worst, and this has cost them on several occasions. The Warriors’ defense has been so poor that it is almost impossible to win games when you regularly concede over 100 points on the court. While the Warriors’ defense has improved slightly over the past few months, it is likely that the team will return to the dominant form that has characterized their play for the past five years once the team has a new coach at the helm.
Poor Defensive Play
While the Warriors’ defensive performance this season has been poor, their performance on the court overall has also been sub-par. The Warriors have regularly failed to hit their shots on offense, often missing wide-open shots, or even missing shots that are not wide-open. The Warriors’ offensive performance has been so poor that they have failed to win games despite having their opponents playing their worst basketball of the season. While the Warriors’ poor shooting can be partially attributed to their defense, it is also indicative that the team has struggled to play their style of basketball effectively, a fact that has likely contributed to the team’s failure to make the playoffs. While the Warriors’ performance on the court has improved slightly over the past few weeks, the team has yet to show any sign of being able to hit their shots consistently, which may make it difficult for them to win games when their opponents are playing at a high level of defense.
Lack Of Depth In The Roster
The Warriors have also struggled to field a full roster at times this season due to a lack of depth in their roster. In particular, the Warriors have missed key players throughout the season, and have had to rely on underperforming bench players at times. Given that the Warriors’ bench is one of the worst in the NBA, this has created significant issues for the team, particularly during their tough stretch of games once the regular season drew to a close. While the Warriors have recently added some pieces to their roster to improve their depth, they have not added nearly enough to compete with other teams in the top half of the Western Conference, let alone be able to challenge the best teams in the league.
Overview Of The Golden State Warriors
- The Golden State Warriors are a basketball team based in Oakland, California. They play in the Western Conference of the National Basketball Association (NBA). The team is coached by Steve Kerr, and led by their All-Star forward Kevin Durant.
- The Warriors play their home games at the Oracle Arena. The Warriors franchise was established in 1946, and they have been members of the NBA since they joined the league in 1946. They have won three NBA championships (1956, 1975, 2015), 16 conference titles, and six division titles.
- The Warriors have also made 12 NBA Finals appearances, and have made the playoffs for 19 consecutive seasons. The Warriors are currently the first seed in the Western Conference. The Warriors are one of the most talented teams in the NBA. They have a star-studded lineup with All-Stars in Kevin Durant, Draymond Green, and Klay Thompson.
- They also have a veteran roster with key role players such as Andre Iguodala, and David West. The Warriors have a top-notch coaching staff led by Steve Kerr, and a strong front office led by Bob Myers. This Warriors team is one of the most talented teams in the NBA, and they are expected to make another playoff run this season.
What Impact Of Injuries?
- The Warriors have suffered a few significant injuries this season, and this has led to their drop off in performance. Point guard Stephen Curry has missed significant time this season due to injuries and has only played in 48 games.
- This has led to Curry averaging just 19.3 points per game and has led the Warriors to rely on Klay Thompson as their go-to guy on offense. Draymond Green has also missed time due to injury and has only played in 54 games this season.
- Green has spent time on the sidelines with a knee injury, and this has led the Warriors to rely on Kevon Looney and Jordan Bell to step up in his absence.
- Andre Iguodala, who has played a key role for the Warriors this season, has missed significant time due to injury. Iguodala has only played in 54 games this season and has missed time due to a knee injury and a broken leg. Iguodala has averaged just 5.1 points per game and has not been able to contribute as much when he has been on the court.
The Warriors have found themselves in the midst of a major slump in the past few months. The team has battled a multitude of issues, ranging from injury to performance, that has prevented them from finding their rhythm. The Warriors have been competitive in most of their games, but have struggled to close out games, and have fallen short of their potential. The Warriors have not been able to make the playoffs, and this season has seen them fall short of their potential. While the Warriors have shown flashes of brilliance, they have not been able to string together enough consistent performances to make the playoffs this season.